Thursday, June 6, 2019

Reflections of ...

Being a child born in the 1960's has been an interesting experience. For instance, I discovered that the week I was born, Billboard's number one song in America was Love Child by Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Hooray.

Had I been born a few days earlier, it would have been the Beatles' Hey Jude, or a few days later, and it would have been I Heard it Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.

It's not that I don't like Ms. Ross and her band. No, it's that I like other songs they did better than that one. Specifically the song Reflections, which was released in 1967. There's something catchier in the beat. I like the lyrics better.

Plus, I love to shoot photos of reflections!

There's something about shooting reflections of subjects that gives them depth. A different look. An interesting symmetry.

For instance, take a look at this photo I took early in the morning across a lake. In the still water, the homes and foliage are reflected in the early morning light. It creates an interesting horizon line which copies the colors and lines of the primary image, making the photo seem a lot deeper. The best way to get an image like this is to find the time of the day when the wind is at their lightest, which typically means that you will be looking to shoot early in the morning. Once winds pick up and the waves start to build, you won't be able to get the reflections on the water.

Smooth water isn't the only time you can get good reflections. Even if you have choppy water such as is found in Tampa Bay, there are plenty of opportunities to get great reflection shots. I took this image before the start of a lighted boat parade in St. Petersburg. Here you can see the reflections of the holiday lights shimmering on the water in the boat slip. Not only does the topside of the boat look festive, but those reflections look great as well. The funniest thing about this shot is that I didn't realize what I had until I downloaded the images to my computer and opened them up to look at them on the bigger screen.

Water isn't the only reflective surface you can use. When Scott Kelby shoots wedding photos, he routinely places the bride and groom's wedding rings on the top of a shiny black piano surface. Those look sharp!

Buildings with windows in them can also capture awesome looking reflections. On an architecture boat trip I took in Chicago, the older, more ornate buildings in the city's skyline were reflected in the modern skyscrapers' window, creating a fascinating cityscape.

And, let's not forget about mirrors. Looking over the shoulder of someone gazing at their reflection in a mirror can capture a golden moment. If you do this, try opening your camera's aperture and focusing on the reflection, throwing the image of the subject out of focus. It will make for a more interesting photo.

Just remember, however, that if a surface is reflective, it can show you - the photographer - in the shot as well! It's best to shoot these images off to the side a bit and triple check your viewfinder to ensure you are not in the shot. Trust me, I have ruined more than my share of shots this way!


No comments:

Post a Comment